1. Introduction and context
The Museum of Oxford is currently delivering a capital and service development project, ‘Oxford’s Hidden Histories’.
The project will make objects currently in store more accessible and will explore Oxford’s intangible heritage through the memories of local people. It will enable the museum to develop as a community hub and reach new audiences, and help people actively engage in exploring the past to inform their lives today.
As part of Hidden Histories, the Museum would like to commission a purpose-built miniature ‘Cabinet of Curiosities’, which we will be able to use for community and school events.
2. Scope of work
The following tasks are expected to be completed as part of this work:
• The design, production and assembly of the Cabinet of Curiosities as outlined in the specification (below)
• The delivery of the Cabinet of Curiosities to the Town Hall in Oxford
Cabinet of Curiosities specifications:
• Dimensions: 600mm (H) by 800m (W) by 120mm (D)
• Two hinged doors
• A number of shelves, in a combination of different sizes
• A handle on the top, for carrying
• Varnished or otherwise made durable
- The Cabinet doors must lock in position for carrying
- The City Council is committed to reducing its carbon footprint. Any measures the manufacturer will take towards reducing the carbon footprint of this production will be taken into account when assessing applications.
The selected manufacturer will be expected to liaise with the Museum team to agree on the finer details of the tricycle’s design and construction.
3. Delivery of the Service
The selected manufacturer will be expected to provide and/or carry out the following:
• A detailed design of the Cabinet prior to starting the works
• All the works required to produce the Cabinet and parts agreed in the specification
• A specification of the finished product and list of parts or materials used (for future reference in repairs and maintenance); this must include specification of any paint or varnish used
• Delivery of the Cabinet to the Oxford Town Hall
The Cabinet should be delivered to the Town Hall in Oxford by 14 March 2020.
The manufacturer will report to and liaise with the Community Engagement and Exhibitions Officer at the Museum of Oxford.
6. Tendering Requirements
A response to this brief should outline (in no more than 6 pages of A4) the following:
• Relevant experience and/or examples of previous work of similar nature
• A proposed draft design of the Cabinet (or an example of an item of comparable design which the manufacturer has produced in the past)
• Expected completion date
• A total fee inclusive of all production and design costs, expenses, delivery and VAT.
Submissions will be assessed on the proposed cost (40%) and quality (60%).
The deadline for submitting a response is 5pm on the 14 February 2020.
8. Contact details
For further information or for an informal discussion please contact the Community Engagement and Exhibitions Officer, Marta Lomza, at email@example.com or 01865 529 404.
Community Engagement and Exhibitions Officer, Marta Lomza, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01865 529 404