Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are committed to ending homelessness.
Every day we see the devastating impact homelessness has on people's lives. Every year we work side by side thousands of homeless people to help them rebuild their lives and leave homelessness behind for good. We do this at Crisis Skylight Oxford through providing education, training and support with housing, employment and health.
Role outline and the difference you will make
Crisis Skylight Oxford offers Drawing and Sketching sessions for our clients. The sessions are run by a Skylight tutor, and are aimed at encouraging clients to join in and produce a piece of creative work. Members can come along and learn to draw and sketch from observation. You will learn how to use a sketch book and we will also visit the museums and interesting places for inspiration. We are looking for a volunteer who is engaging and interested in working with people but will also lend a hand with practical tasks such as keeping the art room tidy.
Timings: Wednesday 12.30pm – 3.30pm
Location: Crisis Skylight Oxford, The Old Fire Station, 40 George Street, Oxford, OX1 2AQ
Responsible to: Art and Crafts Tutor
What you will gain
• An opportunity to be part of a friendly team who are committed to ending homelessness and the knowledge that your role is making a difference to our clients lives
• A supportive environment in which to share your existing skills and develop new ones
• Access to support as and when required including regular supervisions with a relevant supervisor
• A way to learn more about homelessness and the charity sector through a structured induction and training sessions
• Travel and lunch expenses reimbursed where appropriate
• A factual reference from a reputable, national organisation
• Assisting the tutor in delivering high quality sessions and keeping clients focussed, taking direction from the tutor on how best to support the class
• Providing support to individual clients within the group to help them achieve their learning objectives, encouraging them to develop their skills and confidence
• Supporting the tutor with preparation of classroom resources
• Maintaining the classroom environment during class times as well as packing away at the end
• Assisting clients with the completion of any relevant paperwork, where requested by the tutor
Who we are looking for
• Commitment to learning and an interest in the subject. Specific subject knowledge / experience may be necessary depending on the topic
• Interpersonal communication skills with a particular focus on listening
• Good time-keeping and reliability
• Non-judgmental, patient and friendly
• An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
All Crisis volunteers are asked to:
• Comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times
• To maintain the privacy and confidentiality of all accessible information about clients and the organisation
• Be positive, productive and have the passion to help end homelessness
We value diversity, promote equality and encourage and applications from people of all backgrounds and communities.
For more information contact Clare Ambrose our Volunteer Co-ordinator on 01865 263920 or email email@example.com Once we receive your application we will acknowledge receipt and explain the next steps to you.