I have been making music since my early teen years, and now am in a lucky position where, combined with arts management, I get to do it for a living. I’m the bass player for Punjabi electronica band The Dhol Foundation, second mestre for Reading’s community samba band Beatroots, and play for a range of other bands and artists.
My time is split between working as a freelance music educator, workshop facilitator, and arts project manager based in the south east of England.
I see all the different strands of my work, be it delivering workshops, managing other practitioners, or supporting schools, as strongly connected with a creative education theme. This has emerged and developed over time and is a prime consideration when taking on new work.
I’m very used to working in partnership with many different organisations ranging from local borough councils to small independently run voluntary organisations. I put relationships at the centre of most of the work I do and fell this is key when working in partnership.
Clients & Artists
Some of the organisations I've worked with and performed alongside include:
- Arts Council England
- Creative Partnerships
- UK Centre for Carnival Arts
- The Dhol Foundation
- Secret Garden Party
- Iver Educational Trust
- Windsor Arts Centre
- The West Wing
- various schools
- Beat Routes
...to name a few.
Education & Qualifications
- BA combined honours, Music with media and popular culture, University College Northampton
- Diploma in Contemporary Music, Guildford Academy of Contemporary Music
- Arts Award Adviser (Bronze & Silver)
- Philosophy for children, level 1
Work Related Learning
- Using Improvisation in your Workshops, Music Leader London
- Experts on the ground (work with young offenders), Thames Valley Partnership
- Foundation in Cuban/Brazilian percussion, One Voice Music
- Working with mixed ability groups, Music Leader London
- Introduction to Indian percussion, Readipop
- Train the Trainer, Arts Council England
- Community Arts Training, Slough Arts Development
- Diversity and Equality, Arts Council England
- Effective Time Management, Activia Ltd.
- First Aid in the Workplace, St. John's Ambulance
- MS Excel Intermediate/Advanced Level, Activia Ltd
- Race Equality Training, Slough Borough Council
- Tax & Self Employment, Music Leader London
Quotes & Testimony
"It’s often a struggle working with a generation of teens that appear to show little emotion or excitement about anything. Rob has been both enthusiastic and encouraging at these times, and our young people voluntarily re-appear every week!"
- Sally Tugwell, Outreach Youth Worker, Iver Educational Trust
"I know the Creative Partnerships team will particularly miss you... You've put a great deal into Creative Partnerships Slough and have made a genuine difference to their work"
- Jane Bryant, former Head of Development, Arts Council England South East