SOHA Housing and Cornerstone Arts Centre, Didcot, are seeking an artist with experience in spoken word/poetry to lead a community arts project.
The theme of the project is community, touching on issues such as belonging, human interaction and how people have supported each other during the pandemic. We are seeking a lead artist to run a series of eight bespoke workshops for SOHA Housing’s community groups across the Oxfordshire area. The work created in these workshops will eventually be exhibited/performed at Cornerstone Arts Centre, Didcot in the summer of 2022 (exact date TBC).
Responsibilities of the Artist
- Run 8 in-person workshops for SOHA’s targeted community groups across Oxfordshire (in line with Covid guidance)
- Run 8 online workshops for people who are unable to attend the in-person workshops
- Update and collaborate with SOHA’s steering group throughout the project
- Curate the collection of spoken and written word submissions
- Devise the celebration event at Cornerstone Arts Centre
- Assist in documenting the end result of final work. This could be a catalogue, a video etc.
- 16th July – Deadline for submission of interest
- 19th July – Submissions shortlisted
- 22nd July – Interviews
- August – Successful candidate’s first meeting with SOHA’s steering group
- October 2021-March 2022 – Workshops
- March 2022-June 2022 – Organise showcase for Cornerstone
- July 2022 – Showcase at Cornerstone
How to Apply
This opportunity is suited to artists specialising in spoken word or the performing arts. We are particularly keen to receive applications from a diverse range of artists, whatever stage of their career they may be at, and strongly encourage applications from BIPOC artists, artists with disabilities and artists from the LGBTQ+ community.
To apply, please send an expression of interest including the following:
- A statement outlining your suitability for the role
- An artistic proposal in response to the brief with your ideas for creating the project
- An indication of your approach to working with SOHA residents
- Any examples of your experience of working with the community and delivering workshops
- Any examples of your experience of working with vulnerable people or people with additional needs
- If applicable, please include a budget for any additional materials you may need
- The name and contact details of a previous employer/commissioner
- Confirmation that you have a current DBS and public liability insurance
Please send your expression of interest to Jessie Coller at Arts@southandvale.gov.uk before 10am on Friday 16th July