The Story Museum is seeking expression of interest for an artistic commission to create an outdoor light installation in November 2020 for family audiences. The commission will involve co-creation with a small cohort of young people who will contribute to the design and make.
Responding to a broad theme of “Stars in Stories” The Story Museum would like to deck our beautiful new courtyard walkway with an illuminated installation – a “Stairway to the Stars”. The artwork must have high impact and will greet visitors and audiences as they enter the courtyard to enjoy the museum’s exhibitions, café, shop and winter show.
Time Scale and Budget
• Planning phase: From 26 October
• Workshop dates: Saturday 7 & Saturday 15 November
• Installation complete: 18 November
• Installation derig: 4 January
• Budget in the region of £1500 excl VAT
This project should:
1) Respond to a story from the museum’s 1001 collection - this is most likely to be linked to our 2020 Winter Show.
2) Make innovative and creative use of light and materials to create a spectacle for visitors
3) Be based on aesthetic that is handmade and magical, but with an underlying feel of quality and substance.
4) Reflect target audience of famillies but should avoid sterile, overly childish colour schemes and shapes
5) Offer a meaningful and impactful co-production experience for CYP in the creation of the installation. This element must also be ‘Covid proofed’ and transferable to delivery via Zoom should remote working be required.
- Demonstrable track record of producing innovative outdoor illuminated installations
- Demonstrable experience of co-creation projects with young people
- Understanding of health and safety requirements with public artwork
- DBS certified
Please send a CV with examples of work and a brief statement explaining why you are the right artist for this role to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Story Museum welcomes applications from groups currently under-represented in the cultural sector workforce particularly individuals from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities.
Ameneh Enayat email@example.com