We are looking for experienced public art practitioners to explore ideas and propose designs for an artistic trail throughout the village of Sutton Courtenay, Oxfordshire. We would like an artist to work with us to develop an interactive and engaging art and seating as a trial of sculptures in the play area/ recreation ground and at key way finding points on the public foot paths in the village with the following scope;
• To design and make a unique and interactive sculptural features which contributes to and enhances the play area and public open space within the development.
• Create a unique and distinctive features that is of high quality: work which is durable and easy to maintain and which integrates with the functional requirements of the immediate area.
• Explore artistic work that strengthens the personality and identity of the development, in an innovative and engaging way, drawing in local natural history, geology, and surrounding landscape for inspiration.
• To use the process of design and creation to help residents for a residents group and find a voice to help shape their community through the arts and involve the village school and youth group.
• Preferred materials; stone, but could incorporate other materials such as metal, wood or stone
The brief for the artists will be;
• To propose a selection of designs-based o to be located at key locations directed by the steering group.
• Work with the local community (and newly forming residents association), wherever possible, and seek inspiration for the local area and people.
• Proposals should be fully costs and provide us with a installation plan, maintenance schedule and artists statement.
Artists fees for this proposal stage will be between £1,500 and £3,000 (depending on the artists method of design and community engagement). This will include fees for the artist’s time for planning, research, studio design time and community engagement work.
Artists’ Expression of Interest should include:
- At least 6 images / examples of your previous work
- An Artist Statement detailing your inspiration and your work
- A CV with your full contact details and references of at least 2 previous commissioners of your work
- A short statement on why this project appeals to you
Artists must have Public Liability insurance and a current DBS check
Emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on 2nd October 2019.