Open call for artists to work with diverse local communities to create stunning installations in Oxford's Covered Market to enhance the market’s unique atmosphere.
This call is open to artists who create exceptional quality work and either have or will work with people who have a strong and successful track record of engaging with diverse community groups in Oxford. Visual artists, theatre producers, choreographers, curators, creative technologists, architects, designers – all creative disciplines are encouraged to apply.
Whether you propose stunning visual installations, augmented reality experiences, digital projections or something different, we are keen to hear about any ideas which will meet the commission aims and make the Covered Market a visitor destination we can all be proud of.
This is a great opportunity to showcase your work in the centre of Oxford.
This commission project aims to:
• Create a ‘wow factor’ in Oxford’s Covered Market which complements the space
• Drive more visitors and shoppers to the Covered Market
• Tell stories relevant to Oxford (e.g. relating to Oxford’s people, literature, history, twin cities,
diverse cultures, architecture, landscape etc.)
• Encourage more people to publicise the Covered Market via Trip Advisor, social media and their
own networks (e.g. by sharing selfie pictures taken in the market)
• Enable people living in diverse communities outside the city centre to feel involved in and a sense
of pride and ownership of this unique city centre market space
• Enable people to share and develop their creativity
• Create a legacy for participants and organisations/groups involved as well as the market
• Demonstrate clearly to traders that the City Council is trying to assist them and their businesses
during a time when retail is difficult
For further information and a brief, please contact Paula Redway, Oxford City Council Cultural Development Manager, via email: email@example.com