Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are committed to ending homelessness.
Every day we see the devastating impact homelessness has on people's lives. Every year we work side by side thousands of homeless people to help them rebuild their lives and leave homelessness behind for good. We do this at Crisis Skylight Oxford through providing education, training and support with housing, employment and health.
We know that homelessness is not inevitable. We know that together we can end it.
Role outline and the difference you will make
Crisis Skylight Oxford offers Photography classes for clients wanting to learn basic photography skills using a DSLR camera. As a volunteer you will share your skills and knowledge of Photography as well as assist with editing client’s work after sessions. The sessions often include a trip outside the building in which you will need to help manage the group.
A DBS check is required for this role.
Timings: Thursdays 10.30-1.30pm
Location: Crisis Skylight Oxford, The Old Fire Station, 40 George Street, Oxford, OX1 2AQ
Responsible to: Photography Tutor
What you will gain
• An opportunity to be part of a friendly team who are committed to ending homelessness and the knowledge that your role is making a difference to our members lives
• Gain experience communicating with people from diverse backgrounds and develop new and existing skills within an adult learning environment
• Access to support as and when required including regular supervisions with a relevant supervisor
• A way to learn more about homelessness and the charity sector through a structured induction
• Travel and lunch expenses reimbursed where appropriate
Core tasks and what you will achieve
• Assisting the tutor in delivering high quality sessions and keeping clients focussed, taking direction from the tutor on how best to support the class
• Providing support to individual members within the group to help them achieve their learning objectives, encouraging them to develop their skills and confidence
• Supporting the tutor with preparation of classroom resources
• Maintaining the classroom environment during class times as well as packing away at the end
• Assisting clients with the completion of any relevant paperwork, where requested by the tutor
• Assisting the tutor with managing Photography trips outside of the building and ensuring clients are supported
The skills & experience we are looking for
1. Commitment to learning and an interest in the subject. Specific subject knowledge / experience using DSLR cameras is essential
2. Interpersonal communication skills with a particular focus on listening
3. Good time-keeping and reliability
4. Non-judgmental, patient and friendly
5. An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
6. Be positive, productive and have a passion to help end homelessness
All Crisis volunteers are asked to:
• Comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times
• To maintain the privacy and confidentiality of all accessible information about members and the organisation
• Be positive, productive and have the passion to help end homelessness
How do I apply?
For more information contact Natalie Oman our Volunteer Co-ordinator on 01865 263920 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Once we receive your application we will acknowledge receipt and explain the next steps to you.