Job Description and Personal Specification for Gallery Curator
Reports to: Chairman of the Trustees
1. 15 hours per week in the Gallery, to cover three of the open days of 5 hours each from Tuesday to Saturday inclusive. The trustees can be flexible as to which 3 of the five days are worked but a fixed weekly pattern is preferred.
2. Additionally, one Saturday morning per month of 3 hours to oversee the opening reception of each new exhibition.
3. Plus two hours per month (normally Wednesday) from 4.30 to 6.30 pm to attend the Trustees Meetings.
1. To source artists and crafts people from WOA membership and beyond to provide a varied monthly programme of exhibitions in the gallery.
2. To coordinate each exhibition, that is:
a) critical selection of work where appropriate
b) completion of contracts and collection of fees according to WOA terms
c) keeping artists aware of required timetables for submission/collection of work and dealing with any problems which may arise
d) checking in and out with each artist work submitted for exhibition
3. To set up and take down each exhibition (one week between exhibitions is allowed). Help from Trustees is given in making good walls and any heavy work.
4. To attend the opening reception of each new exhibition (Saturday morning) and to introduce the artists and work on view.
5. To design Events Guides, Exhibition posters and other publicity materials using images submitted by artists.
6. To update the WOA website regarding exhibitions, events and news.
7. To run the Gallery on the three days that you are present, that is:
a) dealing with e mails, post and telephone calls
b) maintaining an adequate supply of office requirements, such as stationery, paper, printer cartridges, card machine roll etc
c) selling work from exhibitions, the shop and browsers and recording all such transactions according to WOA procedures
d) filing paperwork and invoices etc which are required by the treasurer and other trustees
e) ensuring that lights and equipment are turned off and the Gallery is left secure at the end of the day.
8. To be the front line ambassador for WOA in welcoming members and visitors and encouraging them to get involved in our activities.
1. A salary of £720 per month (which equates to £10 per hour).
2. 10 days paid holiday per year.
Essential knowledge and experience:
1.Knowledge of the visual arts and crafts
2. IT skills, especially for the design of publicity materials and maintaining the website
3. Dealing with the public
4. Basic ability to keep accounting records.
Desirable skills and experience:
1.Knowledge of and involvement in the local arts scene
2. Curatorial experience
3. Experience of working with artists
4. Administrative experience
5. Some retail experience
Organisational and Communication skills:
1. A well organised and independent worker able to manage their time efficiently
2. Effective spoken and communication skills
3. A good eye for design
1. Confident and friendly personality and able to make visitors feel welcome and at ease
2. Self-motivated but able to work as a team with the trustees.
Thank you for your interest in our vacancy for Part-time Curator at West Ox Arts. To apply please email your CV together with a covering letter outlining your particular interest and abilities for the position to - Kathy Philson, email - email@example.com.
All applications must be in by 31st December 2016. Interviews, if applicable, will take place mid-January 2017.
Kathy Philson, WOA Trustee, email firstname.lastname@example.org